Basic Phlebotomy Technician (PT)
The Basic Phlebotomy Technician program (PT) at Excelsior Healthcare Academy EHA offers a carefully planned training experience that boasts classroom theory and clinical rotations that are unsurpassed in terms of personal attention and top-notch, hands-on experience. This program prepares students to work in hospitals, laboratories, medical offices, home health agencies, research clinics, and blood banks. For your convenience, this medical program offers evening classes, so you can complete your training while keeping up with your busy lifestyle.
The Basic Phlebotomy Technician program core curriculum trains students in a laboratory that provides a “hands-on” experience that teaches these essential skills:
- Analyzing blood and other bodily fluids
- Evaluating patient condition for certain blood work
- Understanding venipuncture procedures
- Performing basic point of care testing
- How to prepare fluids for testing
- How to administer fluid testing
- Quality patient care
The curriculum of the Basic Phlebotomy Technician program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to become a valued member of the medical community. The program offers flexible scheduling, making it possible for students in a variety of life situations to being a new career as a CPT. The Phlebotomy Technician program typically takes 2 to 3 months to complete.
The Basic Phlebotomy Technician Program Offers Evening School Classes
Whether it’s the family, job, or other commitments, we understand that your life is extremely busy. That’s why Excelsior Healthcare Academy EHA offers Basic Phlebotomy Technician classes at night. Evening classes typically feature four-hour lectures three times per week, which allows you to keep up with your daily obligations. You’ll still receive the same level of hands-on, quality instruction from registered nurses and phlebotomists who have both clinical and educational experience.
Advantages of Phlebotomy Technician Evening Classes Include:
- Smaller class size with easier access to faculty and lab resources
- The ability to take care of personal commitments during the day
- You can keep your day job or interview for potential jobs during the day
- You’ll be surrounded by students with similar lifestyles
- You’ll receive a quality education to jump-start your medical career
What Does A Phlebotomy Technician Do?
Phlebotomy technicians draw blood from patients in hospitals, blood centers, and other medical facilities that specialize in bodily fluid analysis. The position is an essential part of the medical community, assisting doctors and physicians in diagnosing patients and preventative care. Typically the Phlebotomy Technician, works directly with patients, reporting results to doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals.
Phlebotomy Technician Duties Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Drawing blood from patients
- Patient evaluation
- Venipuncture procedures
- Performing basic point of care testing
- Checking blood glucose levels
- Preparing blood, urine, and other bodily fluids for testing
- Reporting results to doctors and medical offices
Career Opportunities for Graduates of the Phlebotomy Technician Program
The outlook for employment for Phlebotomy Technicians is positive, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. The need for clinical lab workers is expected to be in more demand due to a growth in the volume and variety of laboratory tests. The largest increase is expected to be in the independent medical laboratory field. More specifically, the popular job titles for graduates include:
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Phlebotomy Tech
DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM / COURSE: At the completion of this course, the student will know the skills to enable him or her to functions as a certified phlebotomist nationwide in any healthcare organization. Training consists of proper venous sites, various vials, colors, and types of veins, and techniques for hematocrit (blood draw) withdrawal.
PROGRAM / COURSE OBJECTIVES: To prepare graduates to obtain his or her National Credentialing Certificate from the National Phlebotomy Association
PREREQUISITE COURSES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION TO THE PROGRAM / COURSE:
Because of legal and ethical factors impacting nursing and nursing education, additional standards and requirements are placed on the nursing student that may not be typical of other academic majors. Therefore, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age or, if not, have parental permission in writing
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or successfully pass a Basic Skills Test with a minimum verbal score of 70% and minimum math score of 70%.
- Have a personal interview.
- Complete an Application for Admission
- Submit a signed enrollment agreement.
- Successfully pass tests in Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, and Basic Math
- Produce proof of current and negative TB Skin Tests and negative Chest X-ray
- Submit a criminal background check application*.
*Background checks are required by law through the Illinois Department of Public Health and are the first step towards the certification process. Results of this background check will be sent to you. If the charges are listed as “pending” you may continue in the class. If after a more extensive investigation, the results show evidence of one or more of the criminal behaviors which would prohibit employment in the healthcare field, you will be advised in writing of what recourse you may have. Until the conclusion of the extensive investigation and possible hearing, you will not be permitted to take the certification exam. If you have had a criminal background check within one year of your expected exam date, you must bring a confirming document to the instructor.
Excelsior Healthcare Academy does not provide financial aid at this time
TUITION & FEES
|Books & Supplies||100.00|
|Exams, Certification & Administration||200.00|
Duration: The program duration is four weeks. Check the link below for specific time schedules throughout the year, (Excelsior Healthcare Academy School Calendar).
Excelsior Healthcare Academy is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education. For more information contact IBHE at 1 N Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333, Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Excelsior Healthcare Academy does not have accreditation with the U. S. Department of Education.
We assist with job placements.
Enrolment Documents & Other Information
“Excelsior Healthcare Academy is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.”
“Excelsior Healthcare Academy is not accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.”
The school does not guarantee the transferability of credits to another school, college, or university. Credits or coursework are not likely to transfer; any decision on the comparability, appropriateness, and applicability of credit and whether credit should be accepted is the decision of the receiving institution.
A candidate must:
- sign the background check authorization agreement,
- submit a physical examination,
- pass a placement examination, and
- must be Hepatitis B immune.
Contact the school for additional information or academic advisor support.
Ready to Enrol?
- Option One: Download the enrolment documents above, fill and hand-deliver to the Excelsior Health Academy 523 S. Halsted, Chicago Heights, IL 60413 USA, with your school fees
- Option Two: Make your payment online, and follow up with a phone call to (773) 297-2417
- Option Three:
- Submission by mail; Download the enrolment documents, fill and post by registered mail to “the Administrator, Excelsior Healthcare Academy, 523 S. Halsted, Chicago Heights, IL 60413, USA. You are advised to follow up with a phone call.
- For questions regarding the course program or fees, reach out to the school administrator either by phone or in-person, we are always available to assist you.
- To ensure you are able to request your transcript and examination results online in the comfort of your home, after completion of your training, click here to create an online student management profile.
Page updated June 2021.